Now Is Your Chance!
No time in recent history or what I can remember at least, has there been such a widespread change in our daily lives. When something as monumental as a widespread virus such as COVID-19 affects all walks of life, all economies, everything around us and as dismal as things may appear, more often than not, opportunity also appears and most times, the opportunities outweigh the negative impacts that currently exist.
You have to keep your wits about you, get up each day with a positive attitude and push forward with excitement to create the new you and your new world. Think of COVID-19 like an ocean wave that just came on shore and washed away this beautiful image you composed in the sand. Imagine the time in between waves is weeks, not minutes and you have a blank canvas on that beach to create whatever it is you hope for. Life’s successes all come down to STARTING! You have to put one foot in front of the other or in this case, start drawing in the sand of what your new life is going to look and feel like.
Let’s get busy:
- Let’s go back to an old image building exercise;
- Write down exactly what you would be doing right now if a genie popped out of a bottle on the sand and granted you your wish? What do you love to do? What would you do day in and day out even if you weren’t paid for it? What makes you bounce out of bed in the morning? What keeps you working late into the night powered purely by passion?
- Write down all the skills you have, that you would like to take with you and use in your new life;
- Don’t cloud this thought by putting down all you can do, only the things you enjoy doing. If you require a skill to do something you’ve always wanted to do, then write it down because you know what, this is an incredible time to learn that skill…remember, time is currently on your side
- Chunk things down into small pieces;
- We all look at things as this giant accomplishment…a Mount Everest sort of feat when the only way people actually reach the top of Everest is one step at a time, one foot in front of the other. Keep your tasks small and maybe put them into buckets or subfolders that need to happen in a certain order, as most things do. This way, you’ll stay organized, do the items in the order that makes sense and as you cross off tasks to your ultimate goal, you’ll feel accomplished and the feeling of accomplishment is the fuel to keep you going!
- Physical strength;
- It’s important to get up each day, get your body moving i.e. go for a run, do some pushups, sit-ups, yoga, anything that physically challenges you.
- Mental Strength;
- The same thing holds true for being mentally fit so when you wake up, don’t look at your phone! There’s nothing but negative news out there at the moment and you don’t want to digest that information while you’re defenseless. Get your mind straight and meditate! Say that again with me “GET YOUR MIND STRAIGHT AND MEDITATE!” You may think this is some sort of fufu type nonsense but I can tell you and so can so many other highly productive people out in the world, it is exercise for your brain and senses. How can you draw your perfect world in your mind, when it’s full of clutter!!??
- We all put our pants on one leg at a time;
- You can’t look around and be negative that someone else is already doing this or someone else is already doing that. Crazy talk like you’re too old or you’re too far behind to ever “catch up” to be able to live this new life you envision. How do you think all these people who love their lives, got to where they are today!? They woke up one day and decided what they wanted from their life. They decided they wanted to be happy and live their best life possible and they started putting one foot in front of the other. Don’t allow negative self talk to take up one ounce of space in your head. The ego doesn’t want you to be happy but it’s your right to have the most amazing life possible and nothing or nobody should prevent this from happening most of all, you!
Even though COVID-19 itself is not a good thing for the world, it has caused everything to stop. It has created a pace that is unprecedented in our time. We have literally been forced to completely slow down, self-evaluate our lives, talk and spend time with family. If you’ve been waiting to make a change in your life and you don’t take this opportunity, you will surely miss out on what I think, is one of the greatest gifts our society has been giving in a very, very long time.
We’ve been given a timeout or have been asked to take a seat on the bench. Use this time wisely and create the life you’ve always wanted…this chance will most likely never, ever come again! Don’t squander it laying on your couch watching Netflix while waiting for someone else to fix your life!
Podcast Music By: Andy Galore, Album: “Out and About“, Song: “Chicken & Scotch” 2014
If you enjoy the podcast, would you please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts/iTunes? It takes less than 60 seconds, and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests.
For show notes and past guests, please visit: https://joecostelloglobal.com/#thejoecostelloshow
Subscribe, Rate & Review:
I would love if you could subscribe to the podcast and leave an honest rating & review. This will encourage other people to listen and allow us to grow as a community. The bigger we get as a community, the bigger the impact we can have on the world.